PLEASE NOTE: We can help only youth living in the State of Maine. If you live in another state, you may be able to get free legal help from a legal services office in your state.
KIDS LEGAL is a project within Pine Tree Legal Assistance. We specialize in legal services addressing the needs of low-income children and youth in Maine. Our services are free.
Check out our new resources: How we can address childhood lead poisoning in Maine
The types of cases we help with:
- Identification for Special Education, focusing on Emotional Disability, Other Health Impairment and Autism
- Programming for Special Education when students are out of school or on a shortened day
- School Enrollment Barriers (homeless students, students living with adults other than their parents/legal guardians)
- School Removal (suspensions over 10 days)
- School Safety for victims of dating violence and/or sexual assault
Safety and Stability
- Protection from Abuse cases for young victims of dating violence or sexual assualt in York, Cumberland, Sagadahoc and Lincoln Counties
- Rights of Runaways/Emancipation
- Guardianship of Minor
We also provide consultations to community professionals working with children and youth on these issues.