Kids Legal

Protecting the Rights and Improving the Lives of Maine's Children

Have a legal problem? Find Legal Help

Call our Helpline (Maine only): 1-866-624-7787  Out of State? Contact local legal aid

Education Rights

Section 504: What Does It Mean

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a federal law the protects students with disabilities from being discriminated against. It applies to any school that receives federal financial assistance. Under 504, your child has a right to a "reasonable accommodation or modification." Learn more here.

My Child Wants To Drop Out of School

Under Maine law, your child must be in an educational program from the age of 7 until his or her 17th birthday. There are some exceptions. If an exception does not apply, and your child drops out of school before turning 17, your child is truant. You are ultimately responsible for making sure your child goes to a school program if your child lives with you. Learn more here.

Special Education Language

When you enter the world of special education, you may feel like people are speaking another language. You'll hear teachers using acronyms like "IEP Team" and "IDEA." We've written this page to help you learn what these terms mean for school age children. This way you can begin to understand and speak the language, too. The terms are listed alphabetically.


teen texting
In Maine, all children who are at least 7 years old until their 17th birthday must be in a school program. Children in this age range who are enrolled in public school are truant when they have a certain number of unexcused absences in a school year. Schools should take specific steps to work with parents and students who are truant. The school can also start a court case against a parent or responsible adult.
Subscribe to RSS - Education Rights